It’s a holiday week and we’re all busy, so today’s post is coming at you Buzzfeed-style. Here’s my top ten entertainment “things” I’m excited about:
10. I just discovered that Lifetime is doing a Beaches remake January 21st, starring Idina Menzel and Nia Long! I’m all over this. Idina’s doing an original song, but I really just want to hear her belt “Wind Beneath My Wings”. (A sentence I never thought I would say.)
9. Those triple-threat Hough siblings are hosting The Wonderful World of Disney: Magical Holiday Celebration Thursday night on ABC at 8/7c. Start your day with the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade on NBC, and end it with all the Disney good feels.
8. My official start date for cheesy Hallmark holiday movies is always the day after Thanksgiving (one holiday at a time, people!), but they are already on 24/7 at this point, for those of you who need an early fix. One to look for this week: A Heavenly Christmas with Shirley MacLaine, Eric McCormack, and Kristin Davis. (Saturday 8/7c)
7. I’ve just renewed my Netflix subscription for my Stars Hollow friends. In case you missed it, Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life debuts November 25th. I feel like this might bring on a major crash of the streaming service, so I’m prepared to view later in the weekend. (Fans: Is anyone else still bothered by the glaring absence of Melissa McCarthy from all promo materials? I knew she only came back for a brief cameo, but it feels really awkward. Do she and Lauren hate each other? Does the whole cast dislike her?! You can’t bring back all these rando townspeople and give some BS answer about her not being involved because of her schedule. She was a major character on the show and I just don’t buy it.)
6. Although nothing has been officially cancelled yet, several shows are “basically cancelled”, as no new episodes have been ordered…usually the first sign of TV death. Most likely to get cut soon: Conviction, Notorious, Pure Genius. (None of these is shocking.)
5. On the flip side, here are the new shows that got a full-season pick-up: American Housewife, Designated Survivor, Speechless, Bull, The Great Indoors, Kevin Can Wait, MacGyver, Man With a Plan, Lethal Weapon, This Is Us. (Timeless is getting additional episodes, but no full pick-up yet…fingers-crossed.)
4. Don’t forget to set those DVR’s for Hairspray Live! on December 7th on NBC.
3. I’m prepared for your scorn, but: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them did not live up to the hype. Hear me out! The production design is ah-mazing, and you would expect nothing less in this Harry Potter universe, but the actual story is pretty lackluster. I didn’t care about the characters at all–I wasn’t invested the way I was with those darn Hogwarts kids–and I’m still a little stunned that they plan to make four (4!!) more movies in this franchise. Sure, there were very cool scenes, like a magical speakeasy, a trip down a suitcase into another world, and a star cameo that I’m still surprised they were able to keep under wraps, but it didn’t add up to much. For HP fans, you’ll enjoy the Easter egg hunt…a Deathly Hallows necklace here, a Dumbledore mention there…but don’t be surprised if you don’t feel the same, um, magic. (P.S. Don’t take kids under 10 or 11 to this–it’s a little scary, but mostly it’ll bore them to tears and they won’t understand a lot of the adult themes, including child abuse.)
2. The best film I saw last week was Arrival with Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner. I will say very little because it would be terrible to ruin this creepy, beautiful movie for you. This is both about, and not about, UFO’s, and although it definitely falls into the sci-fi category, I will not be surprised if this ends up on the award ballots. Denis Villeneuve is quickly becoming my new favorite director–if you haven’t seen Prisoners or Sicario yet, do so immediately! He knows how to build a sense of dread with his sinister score and images that stay with you long after you leave the theater. This one is not leaving my brain any time soon.
1. All this adorable romance between Prince Harry & Meghan Markle is only making me long for a faster release date for The Royal We. I need romance and I need Royals STAT.
Happy Thanksgiving, y’all!